Web engineer John Allspaw from photo-sharing Web site Flickr gave a seminar at Cal Poly Tuesday that was mostly focused on capacity planning. While most of the technical stuff went over my head, a few interesting/funny moments from the evening:
- Robocop on a unicorn: Yes, an entire Flickr set. He opened the presentation by showing it to us
- "They have more servers than God." -About Facebook
- Normal growth at Flickr in the past year: - 4x increase in photo requests/second - 2.2x increase in uploads/day - 3x increase in database queries
- The largest average peak is 3,500 photos uploaded per minute
- Weekly spike in uploads every Sunday night
- Weekly spike in traffic every Monday morning
Also, I answered a trivia question correctly (How many members does Flickr have? I said 30 million, it was 33 million) so I won a free premium account.